Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Yves Saint-Laurent Manifesto




I ignored this bottle on the shelves of Sephora and the department stores for over a year because the first encounter was less than memorable. All I really smelled was the coconutty note I've been smelling everywhere; it could easily have been a Benefit perfume. It wasn't until I asked the salesperson at Sephora for a proper sample to take home that I really got to know it well. Now, Yves Saint-Laurent Manifesto is on my holiday wish list. It is love, love, love, every facet of it from the dewy Green musk accord reminiscent of Naomi Campbell, L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier and Giorgio Armani Sensi to the powdery creamy "skin scent" woody-vanilla jasmine musk of Donna Karan Cashmere Mist, Chanel Beige and the cult favorite of its time, Creative Scentualization Perfect Veil.

There is a piercingly high-pitched musk note that gets more intense over time on my skin that I need more getting used to (I have the same problem with Chanel Beige--those sharp Green violets make the musk even more shrill), but other than that, this is my holy grail skin scent: a sweet but sheer vanillic musk with a lemony edge (or is it lemongrass?), reminiscent of an orchid perfume solid by Sephora which I haven't worn in awhile. Manifesto is more interesting with green notes and that dewy coconut, altogether blended like a skincare cocktail at a spa. The dry down I get isn't musk, and definitely not laundry white musk, but a sophisticated and delicate vanilla orchid scent, just powdery enough to not smell like talc, either. This is downy soft skin musk perfection.

Would I have been happier with the bottle without the purple plastic thing in the middle of it? Yes, but I like the ornate vintage look of the gold cap, and feel the hourglass shape of the glass bottle fits the elegant skin scent very well.

The notes on Nordstrom.com:
Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto (2012)
Top: bergamot, green notes, blackcurrant buds.
Middle: jasmine, lily of the valley, cream.
Base: cedarwood, sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla.



The composition is by perfumers Anne Flipo and Loc Dong. Other perfumes by Anne Flipo include Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia (2010, with Loc Dong & Dominique Ropion), Lancome La Vie Est Belle (2012, with Olivier Polge & Dominique Ropion), Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose (2011), and L’Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillons (1999)--a favorite of mine! Perfumer Loc Dong's compositions include Calvin Klein CK IN2U Her (2007, with Carlos Benaim), Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Dominique Ropion & Carlos Benaim), and celebrity fragrances for Mariah Carey, Taylor Swift and Sean John. (source: Now Smell This)