Monday, June 09, 2014

Coty L'Effleur



Image via Coty Perfumes


Whoever said you should never wear cheap perfume? They're missing out. I'm actually gaga over this drugstore perfume I recently discovered called Coty L'Effleur, supposedly a relaunching of a floral perfume called Coty L'Effleurt from 1907. Even the newer launch is now an old and discontinued one, currently fetching considerably more than its original value anywhere you can still find it. Judge me if you will for wearing a cheap perfume the likes of Revlon Charlie, Love's Baby Soft and Coty Emeraude, but Coty L'Effleur is the most perfect perfume in every way. For me, it was love at first sight with the dainty kitsch bottle adorned by the pale pink Victorian design by Cynthia Hart: even with a flimsy tin cap, that glass bottle is a charming objet d'art. Such an adorable thing could have held any perfume inside and I'd still want it on a dresser like a prop, but that bottle combined with a crisp aldehydic Floral bouquet leaning green? I'm sold for life.

To clarify, the scent is kinda soapy, but in a clean floral way. It reminds me of Bill Blass Nude (also launched in 1990), but greener, like Liz Claiborne Realities meets Estee Lauder Beautiful, Bill Blass (1978), Azzaro 9 and Bronnley White Iris. Granted, it's a floral perfume but the clean, "shampoo" type scent which I happen to like. I think the idea is that the high-pitched soapiness keeps the florals fresh and dry when worn. If shampoo-y florals or cheap perfumes in general are off limits for you, kindly pass the L'Effleur over to me, thank you very much. And thanks, Coty N.Y./Pfizer, for preserving this much-loved drugstore classic. If Francois Coty's L'Effleurt was anything like this, it must have been something special.

Added on 6/12: It reminds me of Givenchy Fleur d'Interdit, too.


Image via 99 Perfume