Saturday, September 20, 2014

September 2014 Top 7 Favorite Fragrance List




It's hard to believe summer is over and the fall season is officially here again. Gone are the sundrenched afternoons picnicking in gauzy outfits, and baring our legs in short dresses and heels through romantic city nights. It's been a long while since I posted a list of favorite fragrances, so I thought I'd share what my perfuming habits have been like these days. Firstly, there's the issue of my unreleased perfumes, neither of which I have been able to launch due to unforeseen circumstances, but I have been wearing one of these quite often. It is a vanilla and gardenia blend like my original PINK MANHATTAN Purrfume but a variation of it, without peach as the main motif. I had announced one of the other notes being lavender. I won't give all its secrets away (unless I already have in a previous post and I just don't remember anymore), but suffice it to say it's a comforting and delicious, yet soothingly fresh type of scent, ever more summery than even the original PINK MANHATTAN. Not only to wistfully reminisce about the short-lived summer but, at the risk of blatant self-promotion and flattery, in appreciation of the actual scent combination which I stumbled upon by chance whilst unwittingly playing around with notes in my limited but individually suited and therefore at the very least still functional perfume organ, I can smell it every day and not get tired of it, a feat for any scent in the life of a perfumista.

Besides my private blend, I have been wearing fragrance sporadically, and only a handful of those among my collection. Over the summer, my favorites were Creed Spring Flower (of course), Marc Jacobs Oh Lola, Rihanna Reb'l Fleur in minute dabs because it's so strong, and a mild coconut-scented mist by Urban Decay called Sweet Cream. In September, I wore Guerlain L'Instant and Comptoir Sud Pacifique Tiare once each. I might dig out the fun and flighty Britney Spears Fantasy for a day, but I am not terribly in the mood for patchouli anything except the occasional coconutty Chypre Reb'l Fleur. I am waiting for several new-to-me coconut-scented samples to arrive soon, so I should be able to post some reviews again.

Early summer, my go-to was Yves Saint Laurent Cinema, but I have not worn anything too perfumey in awhile, not even Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto which is decidedly less in-your-face dramatic. I have not gone near the vintages since the spring when I had a fascination with Guerlain Chamade parfum and Givenchy III for a brief couple of days. I am firmly in the gourmand mindset right now, with coconut and an age-tested love, vanilla, being at the center of my attention. One of these days, I might flirt with L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons again for a healthy dose of tuberose, but the thrill of fleshy white florals seems to be gone, shockingly. Although Molinard Vanille is a longstanding favorite, I also might go on a search for yet another holiest grail vanilla; that would be a fun project for the fall. However, most of all, I have fallen in love with Creed Virgin Island Water, the most well-mannered coconut blend I have had the pleasure of encountering. Come holiday time, surely I can gift myself just once more with a terribly wasteful indulgence to get lost in, even on those days and nights I spend by myself just looking out a window with all its changing skies. My September Top 7:

1. Creed Virgin Island Water
2. Guerlain L'Instant
3. Rihanna Reb'l Fleur
4. Creed Spring Flower
5. My private blend #1 (TBA)
6. Molinard Vanille
7. Urban Decay Sweet Cream