Saturday, January 21, 2017

Before organizing the Women’s March on Washington, Linda Sarsour fought for Muslim holidays in NYC schools



One of my most poignant and bittersweet memories post-911 is arriving at filming location for Japanese TV in a Muslim American New York neighborhood to see people of the community being verbally harassed by a visibly frightened white male screaming randomly at anyone on the street about Muslims needing to leave, be it children, women or the elderly. I, too, was scared, but more of this man than the people of the community who seemed to find some relief in our crew being there with them that day.

Fast forward years later, I recall Muslim holidays being added to my children's school calendar. Honestly, I had mixed feelings about more holidays of any kind being added while our school chancellor under Mayor De Blasio didn't allow snow days on the worst days to travel. However, it is encouraging to see the three Abrahamic traditions side by side here in our beautifully diverse NYC: Jewish, Christian and Muslim celebrated equally.

I personally don't give an iota if NYC will add Japanese holy days to its calendar; in fact, you won't see me fighting for it. I think Mayor Bloomberg had a point in saying we need more, not less, school days (sorry, kids!), if I'm taking into consideration that students in countries like Japan attend school 6 days a week.

Before organizing the Women’s March on Washington, Linda Sarsour fought for Muslim holidays in NYC schools - Updated by The Secret Life of Muslims team, Jan 16, 2017 Vox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~