Monday, February 20, 2017

My February 2017 Fragrance Favorites List






From Shalimar to Fantasy, my preferences in perfume span from classic to trendy, yet always seem comfortably classified in the Floral Oriental olfactive family. Guerlain Shalimar (1925) whose legend is not only its iconic blend of lemon and vanilla over a musky bed of sandalwood but the story behind the perfume, of a widower who built the Taj Mahal with all its sentimental yet ostentatious rose-clad glory in memory of his dead wife, is my inspiration this week for personal perfume blending. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recreate the best parts of Shalimar if you have lemon and vanilla oils in your perfume organ. It won't smell like Shalimar, but if you're lucky, more like a pleasant hotel soap redolent of lemon sorbet.






Britney Spears Fantasy by Elizabeth Arden which is a wonderful gourmand scent with notes of quince and kiwi constructing a key lime tartness atop a vanillic-woody base, shares elements with Shalimar, primarily of citrus and vanilla. I tried one of the Fantasy flankers the other day, and I honestly can't smell the difference between the original Fantasy and Fantasy Rocker Femme which supposedly has a coconut note in it. I tried another flanker before (Remix?), which also smelled like Fantasy, so I've decided the Fantasy series isn't nearly as daring as Guerlain's offerings such as Shalimar Light (Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée), my favorite variation of Shalimar from 2003 (last edited at 11:34 AM).

The other day, I didn't ask a woman which perfume she was wearing, but it was a nice, somewhat sweet fruity floral. I'd love a new perfume like that, but I have no clue where to look for generic girly these days.

Top fragrances for February 2017:

Guerlain Shalimar Light
Britney Spears Fantasy Rocker Femme
Paris Hilton
Rihanna Reb'l Fleur
Taylor Swift Wonderstruck Enchanted
JLo Miami Glow
Ralph Lauren Big Pony 2