Monday, June 12, 2017

In Her Own Words: Evan Rachel Wood Reflects on Her Bisexuality and the Power of Perfume



"Personally, I've been very open about my bisexuality because I was terrified growing up and felt very alone. There are misconceptions-a lot of people think that you're confused if you're bisexual. They want you to be either gay or straight. And there's bi-phobia in the straight community, as well as in the LGBT community, which breaks my heart." In Her Own Words: Evan Rachel Wood Reflects on Her Bisexuality and the Power of Perfume

Marie Claire April 7, 2016



Related articles:

"Granted, there is no shortage of bisexual celebrities—and that shouldn’t be a surprise seeing as bisexual people comprise more than half of the U.S. LGBT community. 

"Recent surveys have shown that bisexual people are the largest group within the LGBTQ community: half of people who identify as LGB identify as bisexual. However, bisexuals are far less likely than their gay and lesbian peers to be out, citing stereotypes, skepticism and pressure to “choose” one sexual orientation as reasons for staying in the closet.

"“I really started contemplating suicide because I had no way to express myself." #BiPride: In Powerful Video, Evan Rachel Wood Highlights Issues Facing Bisexual Community by Hayley Miller, Human Rights Campaign hrc.org June 21, 2016

"“I choose to use my voice because it would feel selfish to have acquired the platform to represent the underrepresented and to not use it,” she said near the end of her speech." Evan Rachel Wood’s Big Bisexual Moment by Samantha Allen 02.09.17 The Daily Beast

"I met somebody that promised freedom and expression and no judgments," she says. "And I was craving danger and excitement. I looked at my mother one day and said, 'Mom, I'm gonna get on this tour bus for eight months and see the world and have a crazy journey and find myself, and if people aren't OK with that, I'm sorry, but I can't live my life for other people.' 

"Turns out people weren't really OK with that, mostly because of the colossal mindfuck that was just looking at Wood and Manson together. But for Wood it was a learning experience of the highest order. "Most teenagers are searching for identity, and I was thrown into a situation where I was supposed to have that already figured out," she says. "Then you're demonized for figuring it out and getting messy. People would call me a whore when I walked down the street, and you can't not be hurt by that."

"What the public didn't know at the time was that Wood was attracted not just to Manson's in-your-face liberation but also to his androgyny. She has since referred to herself as gender-fluid, and in 2011 came out publicly as bisexual." Evan Rachel Wood: How Wild Past, Personal Demons Prepped Her for 'Westworld' - Former child star fought bad romances and anti-LGBTQ prejudice before channeling her craziness into paranoid-android role – and rebooting her life. By Alex Morris, Rolling Stone, November 17, 2016

"According to the report, about 61 percent of bisexual women reported some incident of rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner, compared with about 43 percent of lesbian women and 35 percent of heterosexual women.

"Ninety percent of those bisexual women who had experienced intimate partner violence had only male perpetrators, while two-thirds of lesbian victims had only female perpetrators.

"Regardless of their sexual orientation, most women who suffered sexual violence said that they were victimized by men, the CDC report found." Bisexual Women at Especially High Risk of Sexual Violence, CDC Says - Six out of 10 reported rape, stalking or other abuse, often early in life. Jan. 25, 2013 US News

Last edited at 4:18 PM